The appointment of members to seven of the Industry Innovation Councils are now completed. The following information is provided as part of the historical record of the Councils.
The Government has established Industry Innovation Councils (Councils) covering a number of industries. The Councils contribute to building an innovation culture in Australia. They:
- provide strategic advice on innovation priorities to the Minister
- champion innovation in industry
- build connections and collaborate with other innovation initiatives and organisations
Members are appointed by the Minister for their leadership, knowledge and expertise. They come from industry, unions and professional organisations, science and research, and government.
The Government and its stakeholders will partner to:
- improve productivity, global competitiveness and market access for Australian industry
- build skills and a highly flexible workforce for the 21st century through best practice in employment and training
- ensure the sustainable development of industry
- respond to challenges, including climate change and social inclusion
For a quick overview see the Information Brochure [PDF 700KB] [HTML].
The Industry Innovation Councils Framework outlines the role and operational arrangements for Councils.
Industry Innovation Councils Updates
Industry Innovation Councils Update: Championing Innovation is an integrated report prepared by the Department of Industry and Innovation and covers the work and contribution of all Councils in 2011.
Industry Innovation Councils Update: Towards Innovative Australia is an integrated report prepared by the Department of Innovation and covers all Councils. The update provides an overview of the Councils' shared goals, insights and initiatives for the period from 1 July 2009 to 30 September 2010.
Building a culture of innovation: stakeholder feedback is a report highlighting feedback from 102 stakeholders on their views on innovation performance from eight industry sectors covered by Industry Innovation Councils.
Summary of projects, activities and reports
In addition to the information provided at individual Council links below, there is a brief summary of completed projects, activities and reports for the Councils.
It's all about innovation
It's all about innovation is a publication which provides two practical tools for business.
- It's all about innovation [PDF KB] [HTML] including:
- Eight tests of an innovative idea - asks people to assess the likelihood of commercial success of their innovative idea.
- Creating an innovation strategy - gives 14 principles of innovation to help people create a practical innovation strategy for their firm.
These tools were developed with the assistance of Professor Danny Samson, Department of Management and Marketing, at the University of Melbourne.
Professor Samson investigated how companies become and remain systematically innovative, to assist the work of Councils. The full report by Professor Danny Samson, Innovation for business success: Achieving a systematic innovation capability includes ten case studies of innovative companies based in Australia.
- Innovation for business success: Achieving a systematic innovation capability [PDF 623 KB] [RTF 1.3MB]
Hard copies of It's all about innovation are available from the Industry Innovation Councils Team on + 61 2 6213 7221 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ministerial media releases relating to Industry Innovation Councils.