Following is a list of departmental reports and studies relevant to industry as a whole. For industry specific reports and studies, select your area of interest from the industry sector list.
Disclaimer: Please note, information dated prior to November 2007 was released by the previous government and is provided for research and historical purposes only. The content may not reflect the views of the current government.
Industry data cards
- Australian Industry Key Facts Data Card
This data card contains some key information on Australia's industries including investment, value added, exports and employment. It covers 2011–12.
- Australian Economic Indicators Data Card
This data card provides a summary of several significant economic indicators. The card provides graphs and statistics on the composition of expenditure on Australia's GDP, inflation and interest rates, the current account deficit and the labour market.
- Global Economics Indicators Data Card
This data card contains information on GDP, inflation, interest rates, employment, exchange rates and net capital flows for key international economies.
- Key Fiscal and Macroeconomic Facts Data Card
This data card contains information on Commonwealth and State Government budget incomes and expenditure. It also includes a snapshot of the Australian economy and international comparisons of general government debt.
Reports and studies concerning Industry
- Demystifying Productivity: A Foundation for Policy Debate
This synthesis paper looks at the two major drivers of productivity growth: innovation and skills. The department's role in the Government's Productivity Agenda is outlined in a speech showing the department's ability to engage in productivity-related policy development.
- Evaluation of Business.gov.au [PDF 40KB]
The evaluation examined the appropriateness, effectiveness, efficiency, integration, performance assessment and strategic policy alignment of the business.gov.au initiative since 2004.
- Evaluation of the AusIndustry Regional Managers Network [PDF 15KB] [RTF 23KB]
This summary presents the findings and recommendations arising from an evaluation of the Network conducted from September 2009 – January 2010.
- Management Matters in Australia [PDF 1MB] [RTF 15.6MB]
This unique research project, completed in 2009, for the Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research benchmarks management practices in Australian manufacturing firms against the global best.
- Manufacturing Sector: Overview of Structural Change Industry Brief [PDF 2.8MB]
The latest edition of the Manufacturing Sector: Overview of Structural Change Industry Brief, 2008–09 published by the department includes statistical data and information on the size, diversity and scope of the manufacturing sector.
- Services Sector: Overview of Structural Change Industry Brief [PDF 3.3MB]
This publication, released in July 2009, includes original research and articles that provide insight into structural change, innovation, productivity and international developments.
- Understanding the Role of Key Socio-Demographic Characteristics in Labour Force and Industry Employment Outcomes [PDF 424KB]
The aim of this 2008 paper is to improve understanding of the impact of socio-demographic characteristics in labour force and industry employment outcomes in Australia.
Australian Labour Market reports
- Australian Labour Market Report - March 2012 [DOC 550KB]
- Australian Labour Market Report - February 2012 [DOC 159KB]
- Australian Labour Market Report - January 2012 [DOC 154KB]
- Australian Labour Market Report - December 2011 [RTF 159KB]
- Australian Labour Market Report - November 2011 [PDF 69KB] [RTF 98KB]
Global Integration statement reports
- Background Paper 1: Overview of Australian Industry [PDF 901KB]
This paper, released in May 2007, sets out data which is relevant to Australian industry, identifying significant characteristics and trends, and placing them in a medium to long-run context.
- Background Paper 2: Australian Manufacturing Sector Trends [PDF 945KB]
This paper, released in May 2007, examines trends in the manufacturing sector, also reviewing each of the manufacturing sector's sub-sectors.
- Background Paper 3: Australian Services Sector Trends [PDF 844KB]
This paper, released in May 2007, examines trends in the services sector, also providing data on employment, output and productivity for each services sub-sector.
- Background Paper 4: Drivers of Change in Australian Industry [PDF 721KB]
This paper, released in May 2007, considers the drivers of change which are relevant to Australian industry.